Southeastern Indian Oral History Project - Accession 749 - M348 (399)
Catawba IndiansAccession 749 - M348 (399)
The Southeastern Indian Oral History Project Papers consist of a transcript of an oral history interview sponsored by the University of Florida in cooperation of the Catawba Indian Nation in 1973. The interviewers were Emma Echols and Frances Wade and the interviewees were Mr. Willard Hayes and Mrs. Dessa Hayes. Mr. Willard Hayes was a Mormon missionary who came to the Catawba Indian Reservation in 1935 as a teacher. The interview touches on his experiences and interactions with the Catawba Nation and their leader Chief Samuel Blue.
History and Survival of Catawba Pottery - Accession 861 - M383 (434)
Catawba Indians and Joyce CaputoAccession 861 - M383 (434)
This collection consists of The History And Survival of Catawba Pottery written by Joyce Caputo on December 11, 1992. The 117 page history traces the development of Catawba Indian pottery along historic, archaeological and ethnographic lines and examines changes within the pottery context over time. The Catawba Indians are a federally recognized tribe of Native Americans and the Catawba Indian Reservation is located just east of Rock Hill, SC in York County.
Catawba Regional Planning Council Records - Accession 318
Catawba Regional Planning CouncilAccession 318
This collection consists of records produced by the Catawba Regional Planning Council (CRPC) and includes reports, newsletters, brochure, correspondence and photographs. The Catawba Regional Planning Council was established in 1971 is now known as the Catawba Regional Council of Governments (COG). The organization is an association of South Carolina local governments in Chester, Lancaster, Union, and York counties. “The council assists local governments and other agencies with various programs and helps to locate and secure funds for project developments. A board of local elected government officials and private citizens appointed by their county councils directs CRPC’s activities. Citizen advisory committees provide vital ideas and local perspectives on area issues to the Council Board and Staff.”
Map of the Catawba River at Great Falls, South Carolina - Accession 1087 - M497 (548)
Catawba River and Great Falls, South CarolinaAccession 1087 - M497 (548)
This collection consists of a map compiled in 2002 of the Catawba-Wateree River System and a topographical map of the Catawba River at Great Falls with explanations of various features on the reverse side which includes Great Falls Reservoir, Stumpy Pond, Dearborn Island, Fishing Creek Hydro and Dam, and Mountain Island.
Ellen Evans Cathcart Papers - Accession 238 - M111 (143)
Ellen Evans CathcartAccession 238 - M111 (143)
The Ellen Evans Cathcart Papers consist of biographical sketches of Mrs. Ellen Evans Cathcart (1869-1952), first woman member of the Democratic National Committee who was also instrumental in the founding of the Children’s Bureau. Also included in the collection are newspaper clippings, magazine articles, correspondence, reports, certificates, citations, and photographs relating to her work as supervisor of the Children’s Bureau of South Carolina and her involvement in the women’s suffrage movement. Of particular note is an annual report of the South Carolina Council of Defense which outlines the achievements of women of South Carolina in war work and a program book of the 47th annual convention of the National American Woman Suffrage Association.
Cedar Grove Church Register - Accession 1698 - M817 (874)
Cedar Grove ChurchAccession 1698 - M817 (874)
This collection consists of a Church Register of Cedar Grove Church which was part of the Rock Hill Circuit of the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The location of the church is unknown. Reverend John Carlisle Kilgo (1861-1922) was a circuit preacher at the time of this ledger and his name is prominent in the first section. Rev. Kilgo would later become President of Trinity College and later Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The register contains records of members, baptisms, marriages, and other records of this church from 1886 to 1941 with a majority of the entries being from 1886-1900. Many of the persons listed in the ledger are buried in Laurelwood Cemetery. Prominent member names include: Bolch; Crieghton; Garrison; McCoy; Miskelly (Misskelly and Misskelley); Ratterree (Rateree); Oates;
Celanese Fibers Company History - Accession 889 - M404 (455)
Celanese Fibers CompanyAccession 889 - M404 (455)
The collection consists of a history of the Celanese Celriver Plant in Rock Hill, SC titled Celanese Fibers Company: A division Of Celanese Corporation Of America. The booklet published by the Celriver Plant of the Celanese Fibers Company relates the history of the company and the history and interesting facts of the Celriver Plant in Rock Hill, South Carolina. The Celriver Plant began operations on August 30, 1948. It also includes a description of acetate and the process used in production
Comprehensive Law Enforcement Plan for The Central Piedmont Regional Planning District - Accession 1624 - M797 (854)
Central Piedmont Regional Planning CommissionAccession 1624 - M797 (854)
This collection consists of a 1970 report titled, Comprehensive Law Enforcement Plan for the Central Piedmont Regional Planning District which was the second in a series of continuous Law Enforcement Plans for District III, the Central Piedmont Regional Planning District. The 67 page report was prepared by The Regional Law Enforcement Task Force with technical assistance from Vismor and Associates, Columbia, SC. The sections of the report cover: “Description of Existing Law Enforcement Systems and Available Resources in the Region;” “Law Enforcement Needs, Problems and Priorities;” “Multi-Year Action Plan;” and Fiscal Year 1970 Summary Sheet.
Battle of King's Mountain History - Accession 44 - M19 (29)
Helen Deane ChandlerAccession 44 - M19 (29)
Written by Helen Deane Chandler, the history describes the battle fought in York County, South Carolina on October 7, 1780, gives brief accounts of previous celebrations of the battle, contains illustrations showing the battlefield and monuments, and has information concerning the 150th anniversary celebration that took place in 1930.
Edith Bigby Tribble Chapin Collection - Accession 1441 - M706 (762)
Edith Bigby Tribble Chapin, Winthrop Training School (Class of 1940), and Winthrop College (Class of 1944)Accession 1441 - M706 (762)
The Edith Bigby Tribble Chapin (1923- ) Collection consists of memorabilia related to her time as a student at Winthrop Training School (Class of 1940) and at Winthrop College (Class of 1944). In the collection is a postcard depicting Johnson Hall (later renamed Bancroft) on Winthrop’s campus postmarked June 2, 1913 and sent to Edith Bigby Tribble Chapin’s mother Edith M. Bigby (Class of 1912) in Williamston, SC. There is a program for the WTS Senior Class play Headed for Eden on February 9, 1940 in which Edith Tribble had a part and a WTS Commencement Invitation for May 28, 1940. Also included is a Winthrop College Bulletin for the 1940/1941 academic year, two Winthrop College Commencement Programs for December 19, 1943 (Edith Tribble was considered Class of 1944 even though she technically walked in December 1943), a photograph of Tillman Hall (ca. 1980s), lyrics to a song titled, Carry Me Back to Dear ol’ Winthrop (sung to the tune “Carry Me Back To Old Virginny”) and lyrics to the song, Oh, Winthrop by Martha Bee Anderson and sung at the Class of 1944’s 45th Alumni Reunion ion April 14, 1989, and other materials related to reunions in 1979 which includes a roster of 1944 alumni and a schedule of events.
A History Of The Charleston Library Society - Accession 1299 - M643 (697)
Charleston Library SocietyAccession 1299 - M643 (697)
This collection consists of booklet titled A History of the Charleston Library Society published in 1876. This collection consists only of the preface to this History which traces the history of the Charleston Library Society and provides a broad outline of the organization’s history.
Charleston Photographs - Accession 649 - M285 (336)
Charleston, SCAccession 649 - M285 (336)
The Charleston Photograph Collection consists of two photographs of Charleston buildings. One of the photographs is of the Charleston Battery and the other is of the Dock Street Theatre which is on the site of one of America's first playhouses. The facade is that of the old Planter's Hotel built shortly after 1800.
The Exchange Building, Charleston, SC Portfolio - Accession 1223 - M586 (639)
Charleston, SCAccession 1223 - M586 (639)
This collection consists of a portfolio titled The Exchange, 1766-1973 which was produced by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History for the South Carolina American Revolution Bicentennial Commission on December 3, 1973. The portfolio was reproduced from the original plans and architectural drawings of W. Rigby Naylor 1766-1767 for the Exchange building in Charleston, SC.
Charleston Siege Journal - Accession 608
Charleston Siege Journal, James Moncrief, and American Revolutionary WarAccession 608
The Charleston Siege Journal consists of a microfiched copy of an anonymous diary of a member of the Corps of British Engineers, Capt. James Moncrief (1741-1793) commanding, in the British Army during the March-May siege for Charleston, SC during the American Revolutionary War. The British siege of Charleston marked the beginning of the major British efforts to focus on the southern theatre to put down the rebellion. The diary was found among the papers of Lt. John A. Wilson (1789-1833) a prominent American Surveyor and engineer. His father, James Wilson (d. 1798), served in the Royal Engineers under Capt. Moncrief and is the possible author of the diary.
Ron Chepesiuk Photograph Collection - Accession 1128
Ronald Joseph ChepesiukAccession 1128
The Ron Chespesuik Photograph Collection consists of photographic reproductions of historical photographs, images, and artwork pertaining to the state of South Carolina that Ron used for some of his various publications (articles and books). The photographs depict important South Carolinians, maps, historic scenes and locations, and other images relating to the history of the State and span over 400 years of history.
Report of the Committee to Whom was Referred the Petition of Alexander Scott of South Carolina, December 20, 1810 - Accession 1192 - M560 (613)
Cherokee IndiansAccession 1191 - M560 (613)
This collection consists of a booklet titled Report of the Committee to Whom was Referred the Petition of Alexander Scott of South Carolina, December 20, 1810 printed in Washington by A. And G. Way, Printers in 1810. The booklet consists of a report of a United States House of Representatives committee which was referred the petition of Alexander Scott of South Carolina concerning the theft of the property of William Scott, James Pettigrew, and John Pettigrew of S.C. by a party of Cherokee Indians. In June of 1794, the Cherokee attacked these men and killed them and their families. The Cherokee carried away twenty-one slaves and goods and chattel worth more than $1000. The Committee was asked to make a decision on the rights of Alexander Scott to ask for remuneration or return of the property under the Cherokee treaty of 1798.
Treaties Between South Carolina And the Cherokee Indians - Accession 1224 - M587 (640)
Cherokee IndiansAccession 1224 - M587 (640)
This collection consists of a portfolio titled Diplomats In Red and White: Treaties between South Carolina and the Cherokee Indians 1759-1777 which was produced by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History in 1992. The portfolio was reproduced from four original treaties between the Cherokee Indians and South Carolina, 1757, 1761, and 1777. It is a limited edition number 290 of 300.
Cherry Park Correspondence - Accession 1558 M761 (818)
Cherry Park; Rock Hill, SC; and James Milton CherryAccession 1558 - M761 (818)
This collection consists of photocopies of letters written between James Milton Cherry (1856-1920) and Olmstead Parks Firm in 1904 and research conducted in 1986 and 1992 that concerned the plan to create a park on the land that what would become Cherry Park in Rock Hill, SC. For decades the fifty acre lot that Mr. Cherry wanted to make a formal park was informally known as Cherry Park with many Rock Hillians and Winthrop students picnicking on the lot. It was not until September 8, 1985 that the current Cherry Park with its ball fields and recreational facilities was built in JM Cherry’s honor.
Bill Cheslock Papers- Accession 1164 - M539 (591-592)
William Charles Cheslock; Rock Hill, SC; Rock Hill, SC Baseball; and Rock Hill CardinalsAccession 1164 - M539 (591-592)
The Bill Cheslock Papers collection contains photographs of Rock Hill, an Official Program for the Rock Hill Cardinals (1966) and a videotape on hitting instruction by St. Louis Cardinal’s coach Joe “Ducky” Medwick, which also shows many shots of Rock Hill especially Main Street. William Charles “Bill” Cheslock (1944-) took the photographs in 1966 while he was playing for the Rock Hill Cardinals, a semi-professional baseball team in the Western Carolina Conference. The photographs include images of Municipal Stadium, baseball parks, the Catawba River, rural scenes and rural houses, African Americans, Main Street, Park Inn, Town House Motel and Restaurant, Westbrook Grocery, First Presbyterian Church, Highway 21 bridge, Welcome to Rock Hill signs, Nation Ford Historical Marker, and the Rock Hill train depot.
Chesnut-Miller-Manning Papers - Accession 771
Chesnut Family, John Chesnut, James Chesnut Sr., James Chesnut Jr., Stephen Decatur Miller, and John Laurence ManningAccession 771
The Chesnut-Miller-Manning Family Papers consist of financial and property records, correspondence, estate records, legal documents, and other items. Included are the papers of John Chesnut (1743-1818), James Chesnut, Sr. (1773-1866), James Chesnut, Jr. (1815-1885), Stephen Decatur Miller (1787-1838), and John Laurence Manning (1816-1889). Papers pertain to the business, financial, and plantation affairs and political activities of three generations of the Chesnut family, John Chesnut, James Chesnut, Sr. and James Chesnut, Jr., as well as James Chesnut, Jr.’s father-in-law Stephen Decatur Miller and John Laurence Manning.
Chester County Genealogical Society Records - Accession 257 - M113 (145)
Chester County Genealogical SocietyAccession 257 - M113 (145)
The Chester County Genealogical Society Records consist of typescript material of writings and publications that covers mainly Chester County, SC history and genealogy from the 18th century to the 20th century. The collection includes information on covenanters, lists of Chester county American Civil War soldiers, Obadiah Hardin, Revolutionary War Lieut. Col. John R. Culp, Rev. Samuel McCreary, Mrs. M.A. Smith and the Smithton Lumber Co in Smithton, Arkansas, the Kulp family, Matthew Elder, Jr., Rev. Josiah Henson, the Gaston family, the Murphy family, Confederate Capt. G.L. Strait’s Company-6th regiment, Company B during the American Civil War, the McClure family and Revolutionary War Capt. John McClure, and recollections of Chester, South Carolina.
Spirit of Chester, Chester County, South Carolina History - Accession 1080 - M491 (542)
Chester County, SCAccession 1080 - M491 (542)
This collection consists of a magazine titled “Spirit of Chester: Chester County, SC” that was a supplement to The Chester News, October 28, 1932 as an advertisement of the county for prospective businesses, visitors, and potential inhabitants. It illustrates the history of Chester County, South Carolina up until 1932 and describes what makes Chester County in the 1930s the “Power Center of the South” and “A Good Place in Which to Live.” The article in the possession of Winthrop University Archives is a photocopy of the original.
Chester County Schools History - Accession 596 - M255 (304)
Chester County SchoolsAccession 596 - M255 (304)
The Chester County School History consists of a photocopy of a history of the Chester County (SC) Schools prepared by the Variety Study Club of Chester in 1976 to commemorate the American Bicentennial. The history presents sketches of the various schools of Chester County between the years 1811 and 1976.
History of Purity Community - Accession 1020 - M446 (497)
Chester, SCAccession 1020 - M446 (497)
The History of Purity Community by Mary “Mamie” Sill Hamilton (1891-1984) was an essay of the history of Purity community and Purity Presbyterian Church in Chester County, South Carolina that includes information on the citizens, property, and buildings of the community which the author traces back to the pre-Revolutionary era.
Rock Hill Chapter of the Children of the Confederacy Scrapbook Collection - Accession 1655
Children of the Confederacy and United Daughters of the ConfederacyAccession 1655
The Rock Hill Chapter of the Children of the Confederacy papers consists of three individual scrapbooks. The scrapbooks contain a variety of newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, photos, letters of thanks to donors of the chapter, postcards, brochures for travel destinations in and around the Carolinas, and pamphlets pertaining to the organization. The scrapbooks are placed in three individual phase boxes. The Children of the Confederacy is an auxiliary organization of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Children's Attention Home Records - Accession 985 - M431 (482)
Children's Attention HomeAccession 985 - M431 (482)
The collection contains correspondence, reports, and Board of Director’s minutes relating to the Children's Attention Home of Rock Hill, South Carolina which was established in 1970 “to provide a temporary care shelter in which a child can experience a loving and secure family life until the child’s own home conditions are corrected or a permanent home can be found.” The idea of a Children’s Attention Home grew from a concern by the Rock Hill Ministerial Association that abused, neglected, abandoned, and homeless children did not have a place to go and that there was a significant lack of foster homes.
Rock Hill Christian Ministers Association Records - Accession 79
Christian Ministers Association, Rock HillAccession 79
The Rock Hill Christian Minister's Association Records consist of correspondence, reports, minutes, lists, and programs concerning community programs and workshops, such as the establishment of HOPE (Helping Other People Effectively) and the Senior Citizens Center.
Christmas Family Papers - Accession 480 - M197 (239)
Christmas FamilyAccession 480 - M197 (239)
The Christmas Family Papers consist of genealogical information (1765-1982) and correspondence relating to the Christmas family compiled by Howard W. Christmas.
Matt Christopher Papers - Accession 1092
Matthew Frederick Christopher and Frederic MartinAccession 1092
The Matt Christopher Papers consist of published manuscripts, published short stories (1943-1994) (drafts, synopses, plot outlines, and magazines, comics, and newspapers with articles and short stories), galleys (1954-1990s), leather bound author’s editions (1954-1991), and publisher’s editions of Matt Christopher’s children’s books (1954-2004). The collection contains many unpublished manuscripts and drafts outside the children’s book field (1954-1997), unpublished poems (1938-1993), unpublished screenplays (1940-1997), and unpublished short stories (1954-1997). Also included are taped (audio and video) interviews of Matt Christopher, as well as, puzzles for children (1988-1992), research materials and notes (1954-1997), sports rule-books (1954-1995), and writing guides (1909-1995), personal (1949-1997) and business correspondence (1952-2002), contract agreements (1952-1993), royalty statements (1954-1999), and biographical information (1917-2004), memorabilia (personalized baseball bat, framed pictures and award certificates, etc.), fan mail (1964-1999) and his personal book collection (1847-1995) (some signed by authors).
Matt Christopher Papers - Accession 1221
Matthew Frederick Christopher and Frederic MartinAccession 1221
Matt Christopher (1917-1997) was a prolific author of children’s books having written over 100 books as well as over 300 short stories, articles, poems, and screenplays. Most of his writings dealt with sports themes, but he also wrote fantasy and mystery themed stories as well. The Matt Christopher Papers consist of both published and unpublished manuscripts, articles, and short stories. Also included are personal and business correspondence, biographical information, scrapbooks, photographs, and memorabilia.
Matt Christopher Papers - Accession 1309
Matthew Frederick Christopher and Frederic MartinAccession 1309
The collection includes letters written by the children’s book author, Matt Christopher, to his son, Marty Christopher. Many of the letters also contain newspaper articles of interest to Matt Christopher, which deal with local sports teams, his writing career, his participation in an exhibition baseball game against the New York Giants in 1938, and other of general interest. Most of the letters are personal in nature, however, a majority of the letters delve into Matt Christopher’s writing career, personal interests, the author’s health, as well as his family life.
Matt Christopher Papers - Accession 531
Matthew Frederick Christopher and Frederic MartinAccession 531
This collection consists of Matt Christopher’s first drafts, edited galley proofs and author’s copy of five of his sports stories for children. They are entitled The Dog That Stole Football Plays, Run, Billy, Run (which was previously titled The Boy Who Didn’t Stop Running), Tight End, The Twenty-One Mile Swim (which was changed from The Forty-One Mile Swim) and Wild Pitch. All of the books were published by Little, Brown & Company of Boston. This collection is especially interesting for those interested in writing children’s literature.
Church of the Good Shepherd History - Accession 360 - M145 (184)
Church of the Good ShepherdAccession 360 - M145 (184)
The Church of the Good Shepherd History consists of a centennial history of the Episcopal church located in York, SC. The history was written by Joseph E. Hart, Jr., and concerns mainly the beginning of the church. The appendix includes an alphabetical listing of people connected with the church and some biographical information.
Church Women United in South Carolina-Aiken Section Records - Accession 231
Church Women United, Aiken, SCAccession 231
The Church Women United in South Carolina-Aiken Section was organized in 1955 as an organization of Protestant, Roman Catholic, Orthodox and other Christian women denominations that aim to work together toward building a world Christian community. The records consist of minutes, correspondence, program notes, membership and officer lists, financial records, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and related records.
Church Women United in Columbia Records - Accession 191
Church Women United, Columbia, SCAccession 191
The Church Women United In Columbia was founded in 1915 as the Women’s Interdenominational Missionary Union whose purpose was to work for the betterment of social and economic conditions in the city of Columbia, South Carolina. The collection consists of constitutions, bylaws, minutes, correspondence, reports, financial records, newsletters, newspaper clippings, lists, and other records relating to the history and civic activities of the organization.
Church Women United in South Carolina Records - Accession 230
Church Women United, South CarolinaAccession 230
The Church Women United in South Carolina was organized in 1960 as an organization of Protestant, Roman Catholic, Orthodox and other Christian women denominations that aimed to work together toward building a world Christian community. The Church Women United in South Carolina Records consist of constitutions and bylaws, correspondence, minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, press releases, and financial records, relating to the biracial women’s organization, which works for the betterment of social and economic conditions in the state. Subjects include the organization’s work with Women in Community Service, the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), adult education, and the South Carolina Council for the Common Good.
The Citadel/Shannon Faulkner Affidavit - Accession 850
Citadel/Shannon Faulkner AffidavitAccession 850 - M378 (429)
This collection consists of an affidavit of Jane Harris Odom ’80, ’82, concerning The Citadel’s use of her 1982 thesis “The Struggle for Coeducation at Winthrop College” without her permission in the Shannon Faulkner case. Shannon Faulkner successfully sued The Citadel to allow her to enroll and she became the first female cadet to enter the military academy. Also included is the state’s 35 page brief for the case.
Civilian Conservation Corps Collection - Accession 1565 M764 (821)
Civilian Conservation Corps and Rock Hill HistoryAccession 1565 - M764 (821)
This collection consists of a photocopy of a Camp Roster of all the staff, leaders, and members of the Rock Hill Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and a pictorial review of District A, Company 421 in Rock Hill, SC which consists of a history of the company and many photographs of the projects, activities, and members of the Rock Hill CCC. Also included in this collection is a photocopy of the Official Annual of District “I”, Fourth Corps Area, Civilian Conversation Corps from 1936. This annual contains a history of District “I” and photographs and rosters of: Company 5419 Awendaw, SC; Company 4468 Barnwell, SC; Company 4471 Bishopville, SC; Company 445 Cheraw, SC; Company 4475 Chester, SC; Company 4465 Clinton, SC; Company 4469 Columbia, SC; Company 4480 Edisto Island, SC; Company 4471 Effingham, SC; Company 4474 Gaffney, SC; Company 4467 Georgetown, SC; Company 4473 Kelton, SC; Company 4479 King’s Mountain, NC; ; Company 4468 Luray, SC; Company 4464 McClellanville, SC; Company 442 Moncks Corner, SC; Company 4470 Montmorenci, SC; Company 1408 Myrtle Beach, SC; Company 4472 Newberry, SC; Company 1407 Newberry, SC; Company 421 Rock Hill, SC; Company 1417 Rodman, SC; Company 442 Summerville, SC; Company 2414 Sumter, SC; Company 4468 Walterboro, SC; Company 2413 Wedgefield, SC; Company 4477 Winnsboro, SC; Company 5418 Witherbee, SC; Company 458 Union, SC; Company 4466 York, SC;
Rock Hill Civitan Club Records - Accession 244 - M107 (137)
Civitan Club, Rock HillAccession 244 - M107 (137)
The Rock Hill Civitan Club Records consist of manuals, brochures, newsletters and some correspondence relating to club projects, membership and the club organization related to the Civitan Club based in Rock Hill, SC.
James Clark Family Genealogical Chart - Accession 422 - M168 (209)
James ClarkAccession 422 - M168 (209)
The James Clark Genealogical Chart (1764-1884) covers the family of James Clark (1764-1823) and Mary Cowan (1768-1832) of Lincoln County, Tennessee and includes their nine children born between 1787 and 1806.
Clover Presbyterian Church: Brief History 1881-1981 - Accession 1204 - M572 (625)
Clover Presbyterian ChurchAccession 1204 - M572 (625)
The collection consists of a brief history of Clover Presbyterian Church in Clover, SC (York County) in commemoration of its Centennial in 1981. It includes lists of the Centennial Committee, Presidents of the Women’s Organization, Ministers, Elders, Deacons, and World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War participants.
Clover Presbyterian Church: History Read At The Celebration Of The Fiftieth Anniversary Of Its Founding, July 29, 1931 - Accession 1203 - M571 (624)
Clover Presbyterian ChurchAccession 1203 - M571 (624)
The collection consists of a history of Clover Presbyterian Church in Clover, SC (York County) prepared by W.N. Jackson, Pat H. Hobson, Mrs. Dutrow Matthews, and Mrs. Emma Quinn. The history covers the origins of the Presbyterian church in the area as well as the establishment of the church at Clover in 1881. It includes lists of the charter members, the elders, the deacons, and the ministers.
South Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Records - Accession 1017 - M721 (777)
Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, South CarolinaAccession 1017 - M721 (777)
The South Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Records consists of records related to the organization. The specific and primary purposes of the organization was “1. To provide a statewide organization to deal with the concerns of all persons affected by Domestic Violence and sexual Assault. 2. To support positive interventions to end Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. 3. To promote awareness of the social and personal cost of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.” The records include meeting minutes, by-laws correspondence, objectives, newsletter, announcements, and a map.
Charles Lonergan Cobb Papers - Accession 11
Charles Lonergan CobbAccession 11
The Charles Lonergan Cobb Papers consists mainly of correspondence but also includes photographs, biographical material, magazine and newspaper clippings, all relating to Cobb's career as a banker at People's National Bank( 1905-1949); and the People's National Bank and Trust Company(1949-1953) in Rock Hill, SC as well as his association with Winthrop College as a Board of Trustees' member(1938-1953). Subjects include, railroad cotton shipping service to South Carolina mill towns, crop loans in the early 1920s, location of the Celanese Chemical Plant in Rock Hill, the Winthrop College Board of Trustees, and a1946 article about Cobb that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.
Bernace M. Cochran Papers - Accession 1560
Bernace M. CochranAccession 1560
This collection contains records from the South Carolina Home Economics Association, County Council of Farm Women, National Extension Homemakers Council, and the Lexington County Home Demonstration Club collected by Mrs. Bernace M. Cochran (1908-2002). It also contains collections of miscellaneous papers, newspaper articles, letters, and informational booklets. Mrs. W. E. Cochran (Bernace “Bee” Cochran) married W. Edward Cochran (1889-1973); they were from Greenville County, South Carolina. She had a huge involvement in the South Carolina Extension Homemakers Council and branched off from that into the Council of Farm Women, and the Home Demonstration Club. While involved in the Extension Homemakers Council she wrote a book titled, History of South Carolina Extension Homemakers Council: Fifty Years 1921-1971. There is a copy of the History located in Box 1, Folder 1 of the Mrs. W. E. (Bernace) Cochran Papers - Accession 103.
Mrs. W. E. (Bernace) Cochran Papers - Accession 103
Bernace M. CochranAccession 103
The Mrs. W. E. (Bernace) Cochran Papers consist of histories, constitutions, bylaws, reports, memoranda, minutes, membership lists, newsletters, handbooks, brochures, manuals, newspaper clippings and photographs, relating to her involvement with the South Carolina Extension Homemakers’ Council (1936-1976), the National Home Demonstration Council (1960-1976), the Associated Country Women of the World (1947-1976), the Master Farm Homemakers’ Guild (1964-1976), and the South Carolina Council for the Common Good (1968-1972).
Letters from Cokesbury - Accession 1180 - M548 (601)
Cokesbury Conference Institute, Nathan Christian Whetstone, William Capers Whetstone, and Elmer Don Herd Jr.Accession 1180 M548 (601)
This collection consists of a booklet titled, Letters From Cokesbury 1847-1851: Correspondence of Nathan and William Whetstone combined and edited by Elmer Don Herd, Jr. (1932-1980) and published in 1980. The booklet contains 24 typescript copies of letters written by Nathan Christian Whetstone and William Capers Whetstone when they were at the Cokesbury Conference Institute (aka, Cokesbury Conference College) in Cokesbury, South Carolina from 1847-1851. “The thirty-four letters which comprise this volume represent the collected works of Nathan Christian Whetstone (November 26, 1831-May 25, 1904) and William Capers Whetstone (June 21, 1834-April 19, 1891) during the period when one or both of the brothers were students at the Cokesbury Conference Institute, Cokesbury, South Carolina.” “The original manuscripts of these letters, part of Gates Family Papers, are on deposit in the Manuscript Room, South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina.” These manuscripts represent the largest extant collection of student letters from the Cokesbury Conference Institute and cover a time span from February 1847 to June 1851.”
Speech of the Hon. W. F. Colcock - Accession 1198 - M566 (619)
William Ferguson ColcockAccession 1198 - M566 (619)
The collection consists of a booklet titled Speech of the Hon. W. F. Colcock, Delivered Before the Meeting of Delegates from The Southern Rights Associations of South Carolina at Charleston, May 20, 1851 printed in Columbia at the South Carolinian Office in 1851. The booklet consists of a speech given by United States House of Representatives member from South Carolina (1849-1853) William Ferguson Colcock [1804-1889] before a meeting of delegates from the southern Rights Associations of south Carolina at Charleston on May 20, 1851. The speech concerns states rights and the question of the secession of South Carolina and possibly other states from the Union.
Colonial Spy Poster - Accession 1274 - M625 (679)
Colonial Spy PosterAccession 1274 - M625 (679)
This collection consists of an advertisement for Colonial Spy, a novel dealing with the Revolutionary War in the Catawba region of South Carolina written by Mickey Beckham. The artwork on the poster was done by Winthrop students.
Columbia Graded Schools, First year, 1883-1884 - Accession 1259 - M611 (664)
Columbia Graded SchoolsAccession 1259 - M611 (664)
The collection consists of a booklet titled, Columbia Graded Schools, First Year, 1883-1884 written by John Peyre Thomas and David Bancroft Johnson (Winthrop Founder and First President). This booklet describes Columbia, South Carolina’s public school system’s first year, 1883-1884 and outlines the plan for the first year of this school system.