Manuscript Collection



Download Finding Aid (233 KB)


Accession 245

Inclusive Dates



Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections

Collection Size

1,000 pieces, .50 linear feet



Historical Note

The Episcopal Churchwomen Diocese of South Carolina traces it's beginnings to May 19, 1885 when the South Carolina branch of the Women's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions was organized in Grace Church, Charleston, SC. The object of the organization is "to offer the women of the Diocese a program of worship, study, service, gifts, and fellowship which will deepen and strengthen their own spiritual lives and lead them into service for the church in the parish, community, diocese, nation and world."

Scope and Content Note

The Episcopal Churchwomen Diocese of South Carolina collection represents a valuable reference guide to the work of the organization. Included in the collection are handbooks, a constitution, minutes of annual conventions, correspondence and newspaper clippings related to the organization. The annual handbooks for the organization provide an overview of the organization’s activities. Also included are several short historical sketches of St. Helena’s Episcopal Church in Beaufort, S.C., The Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul in Charleston, S.C, The Church of the Holy Comforter in Sumter, S.C., St. Pau’s Episcopal Church in Summerville, S.C. and a historical sketch of Golden Alms Basic.


The records of the Episcopal Churchwomen Diocese of South Carolina were received as a gift by the Winthrop Archives from Mary S. Walsh, president of organization, on May 21, 1979.


For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.

Episcopal Churchwomen of the Diocese Of Upper South Carolina Records - Accession 245