Download Finding Aid (408 KB)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
5 bound volumes, 8,500 pieces, 4.25 linear feet
The Upper South Carolina Branch of the Women’s Auxiliary was formed at the same time as the Upper Diocese of South Carolina in October, 1922. In 1958 the name was changed to the Episcopal Church Women of the Diocese of Upper South Carolina. It functions as a Christian humanitarian organization in support of the Church and the betterment of society.
Scope and Content Note
The Episcopal Churchwomen of the Diocese of Upper South Carolina Records consist of histories, minutes, reports, correspondence, financial records, program notes, photographs, newspaper clippings, journals, handbooks, yearbooks, and scrapbooks relating to the history of the Episcopal Church in the Upstate of South Carolina and women’s role in the Church. Of particular interest are the records relating to the Bishops Committee on Race Relations and the Bi-Racial Committee, which was concerned with a Voorhees College disturbance in which black power militants seized control of the college facilities in 1967.
The records of the Episcopal Churchwomen of the Diocese of Upper S.C. were deposited with the Archives by Mrs. S.K. Lowry and Mrs. Anne S. Curtis on March 14, 1978. A second addition was deposited with the Archives by Agnes Clawson on behalf of the ECW on December 11, 1987.
Women, Women's History, Episcopal Church, Race Relations, Church History
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Episcopal Churchwomen of the Diocese of Upper South Carolina Records - Accession 169". Finding Aid 270.