Download Finding Aid (309 KB)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
1500 pieces, .75 linear feet
Scope and Content Note
The York General Hospital Records consist of records, minutes, and newspaper clippings related to York General Hospital from 1938-1978. The minutes begin with the “Organization Meeting” on May 18, 1938 and extends through 1978. The York General Hospital was opened on May 15, 1940 which was in the corporate limits of the Town of Ebenezer (now part of Rock Hill, SC) and included a nursing school and a home for nursing students. It was approved by the American College of Surgeons on February 2, 1944. It was eventually replaced by Piedmont Medical Center in Rock Hill which was built in 1983.
The York General Hospital Records was donated to the Archives by the Board of Trustees of York General Hospital via Dwight Thomas on May 8, 1981. An additional volume was donated by Mrs. Carolyn Carpenter on March 8, 1983.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "York General Hospital Records - Accession 399". Finding Aid 1319.