About This Journal

The Winthrop McNair Research Bulletin is the official annual publication of the Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program at Winthrop University. The McNair Scholars Program prepares first generation, low-income, and underrepresented undergraduates to be successful in PhD programs through research experience, workshops, graduate admissions test preparation and application preparation, as well as travel to present research and explore graduate programs.

Winthrop’s program began in Fall 2009 with its first federal grant and is funded through 2018 by a renewable TRiO grant from the U.S. Department of Education (PR/Award No.: P217A130111). $220,000 in federal funding is provided each year for programming and materials that will help 30 eligible, outstanding students complete research and prepare for graduate study. In 2014-15, federal funds represent approximately 70% of program costs, with Winthrop and the Winthrop Foundation contributing the remaining 30% of the budget with over $95,000 in cash and in-kind matches.

Each year, the twelve-member Winthrop McNair Advisory Board selects new Scholars through a highly competitive application and interview process. Each summer, the McNair Scholars complete the Summer Research Experience (SRE), an intensive undergraduate research internship under the guidance of their individual faculty Mentors. Each Scholar conceptualizes and executes a research project, gaining hands-on experience in reviewing literature, conducting experiments, recording and analyzing data, composing academic reports, and presenting their work at conferences.

The Winthrop McNair Research Bulletin is a compilation of the research projects conducted during the SRE and it serves as an opportunity for the Scholars to experience the publication process as an undergraduate student. Several of Winthrop’s Scholars have earned awards for their research as a participant in the McNair Scholars Program. Our program is successful because of the excellent work of our Scholars, the expertise of our Mentors, the dedication of our staff, the support from our Dean, the funding from our institution and foundation, and the guidance from our Advisory Board.

For more information on Winthrop’s Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program, please visit www.winthrop.edu/mcnair or email mcnair@winthrop.edu