The Atlantic Phosphate Company of Charleston, South Carolina
AY 296 .C4 .A83x
Date of Publication
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
The Atlantic Phosphate Company of Charleston, S.C., a fertilizer production company, was organized in 1870. It was located on the Ashley River at Brown's Wharf about one mile north of Charleston. It was reorganized as the Ashley Phosphate Company in 1881.
The Atlantic Phosphate Company is an almanac put out by the company as advertising. It includes information on such topics as astronomical occurrences; agriculture; a gardener's calendar; South Carolina government; South Carolina courts; South Carolina counties; the states of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina; religion in the Southern United States; U.S. government; railroads; and the Atlantic Phosphate Co. There are also hand-written diary pages from 1873 inserted in the book. The writer is unknown but appears to have lived in Chester County, S.C. The diarist speaks of attending services at Purity Presbyterian Church and Armenia Methodist Church. Family names mentioned include Wilson, Abell, Williams, Benson, Smith, and Harden.
Gift of N. Wilkes
Walker,Evans & Cogswell, Printers
Almanacs, Agriculture, Diaries, Chester County SC
Agriculture | Social History
AY 296 .C4 .A83x; Pelzer, F. J.; and Rodgers, F. S., "The Atlantic Phosphate Company of Charleston, South Carolina" (1873). Rare Books. 24.