Rock Hill Oratory Photographs - Accession 119 - M50 (65)
Accession 119 - M50 (65)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
The Rock Hill Oratory is affiliated with the Catholic Church and was founded in 1934 as part of a worldwide federation of 60 independent houses. The Oratory was early supporter of Civil Rights and the local sit-ins in Rock Hill, SC during the 1960s. The Oratory was also affiliated with the St. Anne Catholic School which became the first racially integrated school in South Carolina.
Scope and Content Note
The Rock Hill Oratory Photograph collection consists of photographs of the Oratory chapel, African-Americans at play, at worship, and in school at St. Mary’s and St. Anne’s, Catholic schools subsidized by the Rock Hill Oratory.
The Oratory Photographs were given to the Archives on September 29, 1977 by Father Hal Weidner.
Catholic Church, Integration, Civil Rights, Education
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Rock Hill Oratory Photographs - Accession 119 - M50 (65)". Finding Aid 154.