Mount Holly School Reminiscence - Accession 1514 - M738 (795)
Download Mount Holly School Reminiscence - Pat Hollis Grant (2.9 MB)
Accession 1514 - M738 (795)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Scope and Content Note
This collection of a remembrance of the Mount Holly School from a former student in the 1940s by Pat Hollis Grant. This reminiscence includes a history of the school and offers details of everyday wartime and post-wartime life for families in the Rock Hill area. The Mount Holly School was located a on Highway 901 in Rock Hill, SC across the street from Mount Holly United Methodist Church where a baseball field is today. The school can trace its roots to the Shiloh School in the mid-1800s and became Mount Holly School when a new school was built on a hilltop in 1914. The school received its name in part because of the presence of a Holly Tree in front of the Shiloh Methodist Church which prompted the church to change its name to Mount Holly Methodist Church. Mount Holly School was incorporated into the Rock Hill School District in 1916 and remained a part of the system until the school burned down on March 25, 1949.
Mount Holly School Reminiscence was donated to the Louise Pettus Archives by Pat Hollis Grant on August 15, 2015.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Mount Holly School Reminiscence - Accession 1514 - M738 (795)". Finding Aid 1206.