The geography of South Carolina : being a companion to the history of that state by William Gilmore Simms : compiled from the latest and best authorities, and designed for the instruction of the young.
F 273 .S59
Date of Publication
copy 1: 1 bound vol.; 192 pages copy 2: 1 bound vol.; 184 pages
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
William Gilmore Simms [April 17, 1806-June 11, 1870] was a Charleston, South Carolina born poet, novelist, and historian. His writings were inspired by his maternal grandmother, Jan Miller Singleton Gate, who raised him after the untimely death of his mother. She told him stories of colonial South Carolina, pirates, Native Americans, and the American Revolution. Simms writings were prominent and respected in the 19th century. Edgar Allan Poe said he was the best novelist America had ever produced. He is best known for his histories and his novels of the American Revolution.
William Gilmore Simms wrote The Geography of South Carolina as an accompaniment work for his History of South Carolina. The book covers the physical and natural aspects of the state of South Carolina. Simms also adds historical and cultural items to each of his entries. At the end of the book, Simms includes questions on the geography for teachers to use in their classes. Please see the attached scan of the Contents page and the Preface.
Winthrop purchased copy 2 in 1901 for .75; Winthrop purchased copy 1 in 1902 for $1.50
Babcock & Co.
Geography, Natural History, Cultural History, South Carolina History
Human Geography | Other History | Physical and Environmental Geography
Simms, William Gilmore, "The geography of South Carolina : being a companion to the history of that state by William Gilmore Simms : compiled from the latest and best authorities, and designed for the instruction of the young." (1843). Rare Books. 54.
Full title: The Geography of South Carolina: Being a Companion to the History of that State
Copy 2 is missing pages 185-192
Copy 1 was rebound March 1912