BX 9458 .C4 .H6x
Date of Publication
1 bound volume; 24 pages
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
The French Protestant Church, also called the Huguenot Church is located at 136 Church Street in Charleston, S.C. The Gothic Revival church was built in 1844 and designed by Edward Brickell White. The congregation traces its origins to the 1680s and is the only independent Huguenot church in the U.S. Rev. Charles Wallace Howard, October 11, 1811-December 25, 1876, was called as pastor to re-organize the church and served from 1845 to 1850.
Download Full Text (2.6 MB)
A Sermon, Delivered at the Re-opening and Dedication of the French Protestant Church of Charleston, S.C. on Sunday, the 11th Day of May, 1845 by the Rev. Charles Wallace Howard, Pastor of the Church relates the history of the French Protestant Church. There is also an Order of Divine Service that includes an ode written by Miss Mary E. Lee, the scripture used, the hymns, and the pages from the prayer book used in the service. This order of service includes both the morning and afternoon services.
Winthrop purchased the sermon from Schindler's on March 5, 1958 for $5.00.
Burges & James, Printers
French Protestant Church, Huguenots, Charleston SC, Church history
Christian Denominations and Sects | History of Christianity | Liturgy and Worship
BX 9458 .C4 .H6x and Howard, Charles Wallace, "A Sermon, Delivered at the Re-opening and Dedication of the French Protestant Church of Charleston, S.C." (1845). Rare Books. 4.