Phelps Hall was constructed in 1942. It was built at a cost of $400,000 by the Southeastern Construction Co. of Charlotte, NC and Hopkins and Baker of Florence served as the architectural firm for the building. The architect, A.D. Gilchrist, designed the building to resemble "Old South Colonial" architecture. Originally called Senior Hall, the dormitory was opened to Seniors returning from Christmas break in January of 1943. The Senior Hall was renamed Phelps Hall after President Shelton Phelps retired later in 1943. In 1961, the dormitory underwent a major addition and renovation, at a cost of approximately $350,000, to meet the demand for student housing on campus.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.