Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Macfeat Nursery School
In 1939, construction on the Macfeat Nursery School building was completed. The building was named for Minnie Macfeat, an 1888 Winthrop alumna and graduate of the Montessori School in Rome. Macfeat spearheaded the kindergarten movement in South Carolina and established a kindergarten program at Winthrop in 1899. In 1986 the preschool and kindergarten programs were relocated to Withers/W.T.S. Building. The space then housed the Academic Computing Center until it was converted for use as a reception area for Vivian Moore Carroll Hall and a meeting space in fall 2009.
This photograph is of the Macfeat Nursery School building in the 1950s.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)