Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Peabody Gymnasium
In 1916, construction on Peabody Gymnasium was completed. The gymnasium facilities were originally houses in Tillman Hall, but need had outgrown the space by 1915 and funds were raised to help build the new building with the state paying of the cost and a donation by the Peabody Fund payed for the other half. The building eventually fell into disrepair and was razed in 2007 and replaced by the West Center.
This photograph is of the Peabody Gymnasium in the 1920s.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)