Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Winthrop Training School
In 1912, construction on the Winthrop Training School Building was completed. The Winthrop Training School was used by Winthrop as a K-12 model school for education majors to practice teaching. The school remained in operation until 1968 and in 1969 the Winthrop Training School building was renamed the Withers Building after Sarah Withers, the school’s first principal and a graduate of Winthrop College. Now known as Withers/W.T.S. Building, it houses the School of Education.
This photograph is of the Winthrop Training School shortly after construction was completed in 1913.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)