Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Carnegie Library
In 1905, construction on the Carnegie Library was completed using funds donated by noted philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The Carnegie Library replaced the library that was formerly housed on the second floor of Tillman Hall. It served as the Library until 1969 when the Ida Jane Dacus Library was built. In 1970 , the Carnegie Library was remodeled on the interior and converted into a fine arts center and was renamed Rutledge Hall in honor of founder and first president Dr. David Bancroft Johnson's wife Mai Rutledge Johnson.
This photograph is of Carnegie Library in the 1920s.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)