Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Tillman Science Building
In 1962, the Tillman Science Building was razed. The Science Building was built in 1913 and fell into disrepair by 1962 and was torn down. It was located in the lawn area between Bancroft Hall and Kinard Hall. It was named in honor of Benjamin Ryan Tillman's contributions to Winthrop University. Although Tillman was an avowed white supremacist, architect of state Jim Crow laws, and a violent advocate of lynch law, he conversely held progressive views on women's education and championed state support for Winthrop which allowed Winthrop to emerge from an uncertain future in the 1890s and early 1900s.
This photograph is Tillman Science Building being torn down in 1962.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)