The Palmetto Standard was a weekly newspaper which began in Chester, S.C. as the Chester Palmetto Standard in 1849. It continued as the Palmetto Standard circa 1850 and as the Chester Standard circa 1853. The Chester Standard ceased circa 1869 and was succeeded by the Chester Reporter.
The microfilm of The Palmetto Standard and The Chester Standard is owned by the Chester County Library, Chester SC. By special agreement, the Pettus Archives is hosting the digital images of the newspaper. The newspapers were in poor condition when microfilmed over 50 years ago resulting in a relatively poor digital copy. The digital images are as clear as possible.