Margaret Nance Hall Interior Design Project - Accession 994 - M436 (487)
Accession 994 - M436 (487)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Margaret Nance Hall, built in 1896, was known as the Dormitory until 1901 when the South Dormitory (McLaurin Hall) was built. It was then referred to as the North Dormitory until 1925 when it was renamed Margaret Nance in honor of Margaret White Johnson Nance [1838-1903]. Mrs. Nance was the mother of Winthrop founder and first president David Bancroft Johnson.
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of a project completed by Jacqueline Byer for an Interior Design class. The project culminated in a meticulously researched paper which includes historical information such as date of erection, architect builder, plans, additions, renovations, chronology, and historical context. The paper includes architectural information such as the architectural character, description of the exterior, description of the interior and the site, information on her sources, copies of photographs and historical documents and sketches of interior design elements.
The Margaret Nance Building Interior Design Project was donated to the Archives by Jacqueline Byer.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Margaret Nance Hall Interior Design Project - Accession 994 - M436 (487)". Finding Aid 651.