Download Finding Aid (208 KB)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
2,000 pieces, 1.00 linear foot
The South Carolina Council for the Common Good was organized in 1935 as a composite group of various state and county organizations. Through co-ordination of the plans and policies of the various member organizations, the Council worked toward greater social progress in South Carolina. The council dissolved in April of 1977.
Scope and Content Note
The South Carolina Council for the Common Good Records consist of constitutions, bylaws, correspondence, minutes, reports, yearbooks, brochures, financial records, membership lists, and newspaper clippings relating to the council’s governance and its activities, including its work to improve child welfare (1959, 1967-1968); its lobbying against Richard Nixon’s 1970 cutback of public library funds (1969-1971); its lobbying for the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment (1970-1973); its work to promote passage of jury service to women in South Carolina; and its efforts to strengthen the South Carolina Status of Women’s Conference (1965-1977).
The papers of the South Carolina Council for the Common Good were given to the Winthrop College Archives on September 12, 1977, by the Council via Florence Richard Baxter, immediate past president.
Women, Women's History, Child Welfare and Rehabilitation, Equal Rights Amendment (ERA); Senior Citizens; Public Libraries; Jury Service
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "South Carolina Council for the Common Good Records - Accession 117". Finding Aid 251.