Springs Cotton Mill History - Accession 91 - M40 (53)
Accession 91 - M40 (53)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
The Springs Cotton Mill traces it's beginning to the organization of the Fort Mill Manufacturing Co. which opened a plant in Fort Mill, SC in 1888. The company went on to open plants in Lancaster, SC and Chester, SC. At one time Springs was the largest industrial employer in South Carolina. Springs began an association with a Brazil based company (Coteminas) in 2001 and merged with Coteminas in 2005 forming Springs Global. By 2007, Springs had ended all manufacturing in South Carolina.
Scope and Content Note
The Springs Cotton Mill History collection consists of a history of the Springs Cotton Mill based in Fort Mill, SC including a narrative and description of the company’s first 75 years of history from 1888 to 1963, which includes photographs and illustrations. Also included is a copy of the annual message to stockholders (a report of the 1962 calendar year) titled "Freedom to Fight with Both Hands" by H. W. Close, president.
The Springs Cotton Mill History was donated to The Archives by Louise Pettus on April 18, 1977.
Textiles, Textile Mills, Cotton Mills, Springs Family, Close Family, Springmaid Fabrics, Springs Park, Springs Foundation
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Springs Cotton Mill History - Accession 91 - M40 (53)". Finding Aid 146.