Hill-Hayne Aera-Aetna Iron Works Records - Accession 392
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
1 reel of microfilm
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of microfilm copies of a minute book of the Hill-Hayne Aera- Aetna Iron Works started and owned by Colonel William Hill (1741-1816) and Colonel Isaac Hayne (1745-1781). The ironworks were built in 1776 on Allison Creek in York County, SC. It was destroyed during the American Revolution by British Captain Christian Huck in June 1780 and was rebuilt after the war in 1878-1788. Also included are papers dealing with transactions made by William E. Hayne as sheriff of York District.
The Hill-Hayne Aera-Aetna Iron Works Records were purchased by the Winthrop Archives from the South Carolina Department of Archives and History on April 6, 1981.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Hill-Hayne Aera-Aetna Iron Works Records - Accession 392". Finding Aid 1372.
LC Subject Headings
Hill-Hayne Aera and Aetna Iron Works--Records and correspondence; Hill, William, 1741-1816; Hayne, Isaac, 1745-1781; Hayne, William Edward, 1776-1844--Correspondence; Iron-works--South Carolina--York County--History--19th century--Sources; Iron industry and trade--History--Sources; Sheriffs--South Carolina--York County--Correspondence