Download Finding Aid (325 KB)
1834-1907 (bulk 1855-1895)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
525 pieces, 2.75 linear feet
The Crockett House, a boarding house and livery stable, was located in Lancaster, South Carolina, on Marion Street between Dunlap and Gay Streets, (lots #11 & 38). According to Miss Nancy Crockett, the donor, the house stood far off Main Street and the lots facing Main Street were sold.
It is not known when the structure was built but the first account book for the Crockett House is dated 1868. The house was the home and business of Elijah Bartlett Jones Crockett (1818-1897) and his wife Mary Elizabeth Gill Crockett (1829-1889) whom he married in 1849. E.B. Jones Crockett purchased the house March 1, 1854 from his brother-in-law Henry Russell Price. The Crockett’s had two children, James Jones Crockett and Mary Dunlap Crockett.
Their daughter, Mary, became a partner in the business on January 1, 1893. Four years later E.B. Jones Crockett died. Crockett House continued as a boarding house until the death of James (?) Jones Crockett.
Scope and Content Note
The Crockett Family Papers consist mainly of account books and registers for a hotel, The Crockett House, 1868-1895, located in Lancaster, South Carolina. Also included are two bd. vols. of the names of those who “took meals” at the Crockett House, 1883-1884 and 1889, as well as personal account books of two family members. There is a typescript of items from the registers and some family genealogical data. The collection also includes bills, receipts, promissory notes, and two Confederate Government tax receipts.
The Crockett Family Papers were donated to the Archives by Miss Nancy Crockett on November 18, 1980.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Crockett Family Papers - Accession 362". Finding Aid 1313.