St. Stephen's Church Reopening Sermon - Accession 1570 M767 (824)
Download 1852 St. Stephen's Church Sermon by Rev. Christopher Philip Gadsden (2.8 MB)
Accession 1570 - M767 (824)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
1 bound volume
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains a book, Sermon on the re-opening of St. Stephen’s Church: at St. Stephen’s Parish, S.C., April 4, 1852. by Rev. C. P. Gadsden, Assistant Minister of St. Stephen’s and Upper St. John’s which was published in Charleston, SC by Steam Power-Press Of Walker and James in 1852 at the request of the congregation. The sermon details the history of the church, its leaders, and its congregation from its establishment in 1754 on the south side of the Santee River in modern Berkeley County. The current brick church was completed (according to the sermon) in 1767 which replaced the previous wooden structure with Rev. Alexander Keith, A.M. serving as its first rector until he left the province in 1773. The sermon itself took place on April 4, 1852 following the reopening of the church after it received repairs. Rev. Christopher Philip Gadsden (1825-1871) was ordained in December 1849 and was the founder and first rector of St. Luke’s Church.
The Sermon on the re-opening of St. Stephen’s Church: at St. Stephen’s Parish, S.C., April 4, 1852. by Rev. C. P. Gadsden was transferred from Special Collections.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "St. Stephen's Church Reopening Sermon - Accession 1570 M767 (824)". Finding Aid 1234.