Download Finding Aid (432 KB)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
1000 pieces, .50 linear feet
Edmund Lewandowski (1914–1998) was an American Precisionist artist. He attended the Layton School of Art in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from 1931-1935. He continued to work on his art commercially while teaching in public schools. He had many of his paintings put on display in the famous Downtown Gallery in New York. He served in the United States Air Force during World War II from 1942-1946. After returning he worked as a faculty member at the Layton School of Art until 1949 when he moved to Florida and taught at Florida State University. In 1954 he returned to teach at the Layton School of Art as director until 1972 at which time he came to Winthrop College. He was chairman of the Winthrop Art Department from 1973 through 1984 when he retired as Professor Emeritus.
Scope and Content Note
The Edmund D. Lewandowski Collection consists of correspondence, notes, emails, newspaper clippings, exhibit catalogues, a signed print, and other material relating to Edmund D. Lewandowski (1914-1998), artist and Chairman of the Winthrop Art Department from 1973-1984.
The Edmund Lewandowski Collection were originally received by the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections as part of the Pat Fitzgerald Papers. This collection was donated by Pat Fitzgerald on September 22, 2015 and accessioned as its own collection on October 14, 2015.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Edmund D. Lewandowski Collection - Accession 1522". Finding Aid 1185.
LC Subject Headings
Lewandowski, Edmund, 1914-1998--Archives; Winthrop College--Faculty; College teachers--South Carolina--Rock Hill; Artists--South Carolina--Rock Hill; Art teachers--South Carolina--Rock Hill