Emmett Scott High School Football Memorabilia - Accession 1680
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Scope and Content Note
Emmett Scott High School opened in 1920 as the first South Carolina school for blacks and was a segregated educational institution from 1920 until South Carolina Schools were desegregated in 1970. This collection consists of a memorabilia related to the 1929 Emmett Scott High School football team, known as the Rattlers. There is a Styrofoam tray dated 1976 with signatures from Alex “Legs” Barnett and H. Crip Crawford. Also written is the Emmett Scott football team from 1929. The second piece of memorabilia commemorating the 1929 football team is a plastic “Pro Football Bank” dated from a reunion held in 1983. The football has the team’s roster written on pieces of paper and taped to exterior of the football. Written on the bottom of the football is “Keep the Rattler Moving On, E.S.H.S., R.H., S.C.” Since the team was known as the rattlers the football bank has a coin inside that rattles.
The Emmett Scott High School Football Memorabilia was received by the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections from the York County Library via Jason Hyatt on August 8, 2019.
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Emmett Scott High School Football Memorabilia - Accession 1680". Finding Aid 1177.
LC Subject Headings
Emmett Scott High School (Rock Hill, S.C.)--Football; African American schools--South Carolina--Rock Hill; African American football players--South Carolina--Rock Hill; Sports--Collectibles--South Carolina--Rock Hill