Manuscript Collection

Files

Download

Download Finding Aid (5.9 MB)

Identifier

Accession 1712

Inclusive Dates

1900-1937, nd

Restrictions

Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections

Collection Size

.25 linear feet

Language

English;

Historical Note

The Carlisle Photography Studio was started by Marion Carlisle (1859-1940) and was located originally at 114 Railroad Avenue built around 1900. The studio was an open structure that allowed sunlight to be used to light the portraits. Low walls surrounded the studio's wood floor, which could be moved around in sections and Carlisle could adjust the illumination by raising and lowering a canvass top.*

*Most of this information was from a February 8, 1982 Evening Herald article titled "Photos by M. Carlisle" which included a reminiscence from Walter Lawson Jenkins, Sr. (1893-1982)

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of photographs of the Rock Hill area from the early 20th century taken mostly by Marion Carlisle (1859-1940) who operated the Carlisle photography Studio in Rock Hill SC and several taken by his daughter Ora Lee Carlisle (1902-1969). The photographs include several scenes of the 1901 flood, 1903 train wreck, 1916 flood, and the 1926 tornado that struck Rock Hill. Other scenes include downtown Rock Hill, Main Street, White Street, Hampton Street, Train depot, St. Johns Methodist Church, Kings Mountain Park Monument, Confederate Park, Central School, the Rock Hill Dam, Winthrop College, and several photographs of the Great Falls Dam being built including the lock keepers house (known as the “Rock House”) and an possibly an image of the Great Falls.

Provenance

The Carlisle Photography Studio Collection was received by the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections from the York County Library via Jason Hyatt on August 8, 2019. The collection was originally donated to the York County library by Ava Carlisle Snipes in 1982.

Copyright

For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.

Carlisle Photography Studio Collection - Accession 1712

Share

COinS