Download Finding Aid (140 KB)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
1,500 pieces, 0.75 linear feet
Lancaster, South Carolina was founded by settlers from Lancaster, Pennsylvania and was known as Barnettsville when the first courthouse was erected in 1795. Lancaster is the county seat of Lancaster County and is located in Piedmont South Carolina near the banks of the Catawba River.
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of duplicate items from the Perry Belle Bennett Hough Collection located at the Lancaster Public Library. The records include correspondence, newspaper clippings, histories, genealogies, brochures, and pamphlets dealing with local and family history dating back to 1825. Subjects included are Springs Mills, the Belk brothers, Andrew Jackson, the Daughters of the American Revolution-Waxhaw Chapter (DAR), the Tamassee School, Marion Sims, Lancaster County churches, and South Carolina Civil War regiments.
The collection was deposited with the archives by the Lancaster County Library via Richard Band on July 30, 1981.
Lancaster SC, Lancaster County SC, Andrew Jackson, Genealogy, Belk Department Store
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Lancaster County History Collection - Accession 417". Finding Aid 1131.