The Lantern was a semi-weekly, Independent Democrat newspaper published in Chester, S.C. It was established in 1897 and ceased publication in 1913. The first editor and propietor was J. T. Bigham. Also associated with the paper was W.F. Caldwell, T. Dana Jones, J. Otis Hull, C.N. Wrenshaw, J. E. Nunnery, S. L. Cassells and W. Ward Pegram. The successor to the Lantern was the Semi-Weekly News although it started a new number sequence. In 1917 it was re-named The Chester News.