Image Approximate Date
Groundbreaking for the Winthrop Training School Gymnasium (later called the Student Activity Center) 1950 with Catawba Hall in background. W.T.S. Director Ralph Barbare shovels the first spadeful of ground for a new gymnasium at the school. The building cost more than $60,000 including equipment. In the photograph, left to right, are: Steve Moore of Moore Construction Company in Rock Hill; President Henry R. Sims of Winthrop; Charles Cobb of Rock Hill, Winthrop trustee; Dr. S. J. McCoy, academic dean of the college; John T. Roddey of Rock Hill, trustee; R. Brice Waters, Winthrop administrative director; William B. Moore of the W.T.S. faculty; Mr. Barbare; and Mrs. E. G. McCall of the W.T.S. Parent-Teachers Association. Pupils representing each grade are grouped at right Margaret Anne Moorer of Summerville, Winthrop senior, standing next to Mrs. McCall; and Mrs. George Cobb of the W.T.S. faculty, extreme right.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Winthrop University Photograph Collection. Catawba Hall
Digitized images made possible through the generous grants of the Clarence H. and Anna E. Lutz Foundation and the Knapp Foundation
Catawba Hall / ca1891 - 1968