The Presbyterian High School, established in 1891, was built on the spot where Withers/W.T.S. Building in Rock Hill, SC rests currently. Around the same time, Catawba Hall was built as a boarding house for the all-boys institute. The school fell into financial difficulties within a couple years and pressure mounted for the local school district to purchase the school. As a result, the school district acquired the property and the school became the Catawba Military Academy. Within a couple years, the academy and the boarding house became the property of Davidson College (located in Davidson, NC). The school district repurchased the property some years later and the Catawba Military Academy became Rock Hill High School in 1907. In this capacity it continued as a military academy with 60 male students until it was forced to close in 1908. Two years later the two buildings were purchased by Winthrop. The high school building was incorporated into the Winthrop Training School built on the site in 1913 and the boarding house was turned into a dormitory for the Winthrop students. Catawba Hall continued as a dormitory for the rest of its existence; however it housed Winthrop faculty at various times instead of Winthrop students. In 1968 it was determined by Winthrop that the cost to renovate the building was too great and Catawba Hall was razed.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.