Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Uniforms
In 1955, Winthrop discontinued it's uniform requirement for students. From 1895 through the Fall of 1955 Winthrop required the all female student body to wear blue and white uniforms. Winthrop University’s first president D.B. Johnson believed in school uniforms, writing that a uniform requirement “promotes economy and does away with all distinctions that would otherwise exist from different conditions. The richest girl cannot be distinguished from the poorest by her dress.”
This scanned image is a drawing by Lucia Harrison in 1949 showing the evolution of the Winthrop Uniform from 1898-1948.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)