Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Little Chapel
In 1823, the Little Chapel was built as a stable/carriage house in 1823 on the grounds of Ainsley Hall mansion in downtown Columbia and was designed by Robert Mills. The stable/carriage house was then converted to a chapel by the Columbia Theological Seminary when the property was purchased by the Presbyterian Synod of South Carolina in 1930. The Little Chapel would later serve as Winthrop's first classroom for the 1886-1887 inaugural academic year. In 1936, the Little Chapel was moved brick-by-brick to Winthrop campus in Rock Hill, SC.
This image is of the Little Chapel from the 1890s when the Chapel was still in Columbia, SC.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)