Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Tillman Hall
In 1962, Main Building was renamed Tillman Administration Building after the Tillman Science Building was razed earlier in the year. A building has been named in honor of Benjamin Ryan Tillman's contributions to Winthrop University since 1913 when the Tillman Science Building was built. Although Tillman was an avowed white supremacist, architect of state Jim Crow laws, and a violent advocate of lynch law, he conversely held progressive views on women's education and championed state support for Winthrop which allowed Winthrop to emerge from an uncertain future in the 1890s and early 1900s.
This photograph is of Main Building from the 1920s.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)