Image Approximate Date
W427.2-1 - Luminaries: Winthrop, Robert C.
In 1886 founder and first president of Winthrop David Bancroft Johnson received a $1,500 gift from the Peabody Education Board to found a teacher training institution in Columbia, S.C. The Peabody Education Board was headed by Robert Charles Winthrop. Mr. Winthrop, benefactor and namesake of Winthrop University, also gave Dr. Johnson $50 out of his own pocket to establish a library at the school, and he continued to donate $50 every year, as well as books, until his death in 1894.
This image is of undated image of Robert Charles Winthrop.
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
Information concerning copyright must be secured in writing from the Director of the Louise Pettus Archives.
Chronologies and Timelines
A Winthrop University Chronology (1823 - present)