Manuscript Collection

Files

Download

Download Finding Aid (475 KB)

Identifier

Accession 5

Inclusive Dates

1894-1967 (mainly 1929-1967)

Restrictions

Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections

Collection Size

1200 pieces, 1.0 linear feet

Language

English

Historical Note

Jessie Huey Laurence (1886-1971) was a club woman, civic leader, native of Union County, SC, and a 1907 Winthrop graduate. She was active in the South Carolina Federation of Women's Clubs, the Winthrop Alumnae Association, Council for the Common Good, and Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).

Scope and Content Note

The Jessie Huey Laurence Papers primarily consist of correspondence, but also included are speeches, program notes, minutes, financial records, photographs, clippings, and scrapbooks relating to her role in the South Carolina Federation of Women’s Clubs (1928-1937); her promotion of a compulsory school attendance bill for South Carolina (1934-1936); the formation of the South Carolina Council for the Common Good (1935); Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Public Works Administration (PWA) projects in South Carolina; and her interest in the Catawba Indians of York County, as chairman of Indian Affairs Committee for the Catawba Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Subjects include literacy, Santee-Cooper Dam, Winthrop College, World War II, York County Historical Society, York, Chester, and Lancaster Counties and family history material including: Adams, Craig, Jackson, Lesslie, Lessly, Mull, Muehl, Robinson, Taylor, Weidner, Witherspoon, and Wylie families.

Provenance

The papers of Jessie H. Laurence, educator, writer, business woman, and club woman, were received by the Winthrop Archives on July 15 1974.

Keywords

Great Depression, Works Progress Administration (WPA), Public Works Administration (PWA), Catawba Indians, World War II, York County Historical Society

Copyright

For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.