Download Finding Aid (408 KB)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
3,500 pieces, 1.75 linear feet
Mrs. W. E. Cochran (1908-?) was an extension leader and club woman.
South Carolina Extension Homemakers Council was organized to promote the study of Home Economics and the work of home economics in the state. The council was originally known as the South Carolina Council of Farm Women which was organized at Winthrop in June, 1921. The name was changed to South Carolina Home Demonstration Council in 1957 and to South Carolina Extension Homemakers Council in 1966. The name was changed again in 1992 when it became the South Carolina Association for Family and Community Education, and finally became the South Carolina Family and Community Leaders in 1995.
Scope and Content Note
The Mrs. W. E. Cochran Papers consist of histories, constitutions, bylaws, reports, memoranda, minutes, membership lists, newsletters, handbooks, brochures, manuals, newspaper clippings and photographs, relating to her involvement with the South Carolina Extension Homemakers’ Council (1936-1976), the National Home Demonstration Council (1960-1976), the Associated Country Women of the World (1947-1976), the Master Farm Homemakers’ Guild (1964-1976), and the South Carolina Council for the Common Good (1968-1972).
The papers of Mrs. W.E. Cochran, home extension leader, were received as a gift by the Archives from Mrs. Cochran on June 24, 1977.
Home Demonstration, Home Extension, Home Economics, Women's History
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Mrs. W. E. Cochran Papers - Accession 103". Finding Aid 244.