Leila Russell Papers - Accession 25 - M7 (17)
Accession 25 - M7 (17)
Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections
1 bound volume, 71 pieces
Leila Russell (1871-1963) was an 1889 graduate of Winthrop and later was a professor of education and alumni secretary at Winthrop College from 1895 to 1945.
Ms. Russell founded the Winthrop campus King's Daughters Circle in 1895 which later became the college's chapter of the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA).
She also organized several Rural School Improvement Associations which later merged into Parent Teacher Associations.
She was the first county supervisor of education in South Carolina. As such, Ms. Russell helped to inaugurate field day in schools. She led York County rural schools to see what consolidation could mean to education and the demonstration in York county led other counties to go and do likewise. She also centered attention on the need of public provision for transportation for rural children to school in York County.
For more information about Leila Russell please consult the biographies written by Louise Pettus above.
Scope and Content Note
The Leila Russell Papers consist of a journal kept by Russell which formed the basis for a report to the Southern Education Board, describing conditions at various school houses in Anderson County, South Carolina. There are also photographs of school houses in Anderson and Marion Counties.
Transferred from Alumni Records to the Winthrop Archives
Education, Anderson County SC, Marion County SC, Schools
For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.
Finding Aid Citation
Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections, Winthrop University, "Leila Russell Papers - Accession 25 - M7 (17)". Finding Aid 22.