Manuscript Collection

James H. Carlisle Speech - Accession 139 - M66 (81)

Title

James H. Carlisle Speech - Accession 139 - M66 (81)

Files

Identifier

Accession 139 - M66 (81)

Inclusive Dates

nd

Restrictions

Open under the rules and regulations of the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections

Collection Size

8 pieces

Language

English

Historical Note

James Henry Carlisle [1825-1909] was an educator, professor at Wofford College [1854-1875] and President of Wofford [1875-1902]. Rocky Mount, later known as Mount Dearborn, was the National Armory located on the Catawba River in Rocky Mount, SC from 1802-1829. Rocky Mount was located just below the Great Falls (sometimes called Catawba Falls) on the Catawba River. After the Catawba River was dammed by Duke Electric the "Great Falls" no longer existed although there is a town there by that name founded in 1907.

Scope and Content Note

The James H. Carlisle Speech consists of a typescript copy of a speech delivered by James H. Carlisle concerning the "Great Falls" of the Catawba River as well as the establishment of Mount Dearborn, a federal military arsenal in the early 1800s in Chester County.

Provenance

Transferred from Vertical File of the Reference Department, Dacus Library, Winthrop University

Keywords

Military arsenals, Chester County SC, Rocky Mount SC, Catawba River, South Carolina Rivers

Copyright

For information concerning copyright please contact the Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University.

James H. Carlisle Speech - Accession 139 - M66 (81)

Share

COinS